Discovery Process Workshop Series - Palmerston North
Interested in attending? Have a suggestion about running this event near you?
Register your interest now
Discovery Process Workshop Series
Facilitating intensive and individualised efforts to identify people’s interests, aspirations and preferences for contribution and participation in their communities
The Discovery process is a framework for exploring the preferences and choices of people who often have communication challenges and who need access to supported decision making. This is a group who are sometimes referred to as having “very high needs” and may have had limited individualised experience in community settings. This one-day workshop will introduce the Discovery Process and how it can be used to support young adults described as having very high needs to prepare for transition from school and successfully participate in regular community settings – leisure, recreation, volunteering and employment.
The workshop will cover:
- Engaging families/whanau
- Engaging schools
- Identifying support needs
- Exploring, experiencing and discovering community
- Planning and supporting for participation
These workshops will be presented by Brandi Monts and Emily Harris from Seattle, Washington in the USA. They bring with them an extensive track record as practitioners and trainers in the art of the discovery process.
- James Corey is a person centred planner, a discovery wild man, wide eyed and intuitive employment consultant, micro business planner, trainer, speaker, facilitator and project manager. A recognized leader in facilitating paid community jobs for people including those with the most difficult challenges
- Brandi Monts has a life-long personal connection to developmental disabilities as well as over 18 years of work in the field. Previous positions include residential services, supported employment, transition from school, teaching and County Government.
Workshops will be offered in Auckland, Palmerston North and Christchurch and run from 9.30-3.30
Funding support from MSD is allowing us to offer these workshops at a subsidised rate of $150 plus GST.
Workshops are limited to 50 participants so be in quick!
Workshop Dates and Venues:
- Monday 17th February 2020
- Sudima Hotel, 18 Airpark Dr, Mangere, Auckland
- Wednesday 19th February 2020
- Distinction Coachman Hotel, 140 Fitzherbert Ave Palmerston North
- Friday 21st February 2020
- Sudima Hotel, 550 Memorial Ave, Christchurch Airport